THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS
"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." Eleanor Roosevelt
Did you hear the news? Lawsuits were popping up all over the place yesterday after The FCC approved the repeal of net neutrality yesterday.
I am sure you heard.
This means that Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon, your internet service providers can filter content and web speeds.
That's the scary part that they can do that.
People are afraid of the censorship and rules of holding us back.
The Founder of Reddit made a nice point about how anybody can be heard is a fundamentally American.
We are accustomed to having the ability to have our voices heard.
One commenter in an article I read about Net Netruality nicely pointed out that Facebook, Google, Twitter, Unlimited Cell Phone Data and wifi hotspots were all created before 2015 when Net Neutrality was put into force.
I found comfort there too.
Hell won't freeze over by one move.
I talked with the Head of Network development of a Fortune 500 company, he said, he didn't yet know how to feel about the issue. If we are turning streaming more video online that means these companies need to put in more infrastructure in place to maintain this change and they should be allowed to charge more.
He also said that we are already living in a filtered world already giving the examples that
1) Facebook only shows us what they think we want to see (a type of censorship) based on their own algorithms and
2) that traditional news is more commentary news...
So he said that he's not canceling any subscriptions today...
Hmmm... Good points there too.
I thought this all interesting... and honestly, don't know where I "stand".
So please don't take what I am saying as a political stance.
What I want to make is a firm stance on business strategy.
That's what comes up for me.
I love business and I am a nerd about it.
What does this mean for small business?
I think this drives forward the trend we have been watching come up again and again.
Our love affair with digital is over.
We want experiences.
We want connection. (That's why we initially turned to Facebook in the first place, right?!)
We want to progress.
And we want it IRL (in. real. life.)
Traditional business is IN again.
Relationships are important, more than ever.
What would happen if you picked up the phone today and called your customer? Wrote them a personal note?
Did something to surprise them?
Think on it.
Lead Ladies Lead.
--> Loved this post on a 10-Year Study Had 1.5 Million People Rate 122,000 Leaders. What I see in this post is that if you learn to manage yourself and how you feel while also working intimately with others, your leadership and influence will only grow and grow... Here are the 5 characteristics they found of top quality leaders.
1. Recognize your own bias.
2. Promote collaboration among co-workers.
3. Don't dominate conversations, and prioritize listening.
4. Check your ego.
5. Systematically design inclusive environments.
--> The Simpsons predicted Disney would buy 20th Century Fox! All trends and news don't have to come from traditional sources nor does it have to be boring!
--> I have talked with many women lately and the stress of the holidays is setting in.
Remember, first and foremost be kind to yourself. Take care of you...
--> It's worth repeating if you want comfort and wisdom. Just listening to Pema's voice is soothing... Fail, Fail Again, Fail Better by Pema Chodron.
--> Give yourself a break this holiday season by binging one of Netflix's Most Popular Show (by streaming habits) for 2017! (Stranger Things, American Vandel, The Crown, or Narcos topped the list!)
Last but not least.
--> I have had several conversations this week about "How to know if *now* is the right time to start a new project! " So I did a quick video on it! Please let me know how you know...
Quick side note from Ashleigh. Here are my most favorite tools ever.
- For audio motivation - Relentless by Tim Grover. I listen to him as I was in the mornings. My walk always becomes a power walk after listening.
- To focus during the day I love to focus@will. They say music helps you focus and for me it surely does. I blare the classical music. I am not sure how many people my age choose that over techno but either way I love it.
- Rosemarie Groner (from the Busy Budgeter) is a friend and I just LOVE how much she gives everything away. She tells you and anyone she can her detailed way to making money! Start with her Pinterest Strategy Guide that is worth every penny. Not. going. to. lie.